Thursday, April 13, 2006

Amazing Love

So I went to the most awesome and moving Maundy service that I can recall. The ambiance was filled w/ candles and the service started out with chants and words appearing on the screen, then we sang:

Amazing love! How can it be,
That Thou, my God, should die for me?
Amazing love! How can it be,
That Thou, my God, should die for me?

Near the end, we each were given a pencil, an index card, and a nail. We wrote our sins on the card and were invited to go up to the front and nail our cards onto the cross. One by one, people went up to the cross and one by one, the nails were driven onto the cross. Yes, all of us nailed him to the cross. By the time everyone was done, the cross was covered with index cards and this really hit hard on me. It's like wow, the sins of the congregation were on the cross. Imagine the sins of all those who believe that were, are, and will be. Indeed it was amazing love, how can it be, that you my God, should die for me. So if you don't celebrate Easter then

Go on up to the mountain of mercy
To the crimson perpetual tide
Kneel down on the shore
Be thirsty no more
Go under and be purified

Follow Christ to the Holy mountain
Sinner, sorry and wrecked by the fall
Cleanse your heart and your soul
In the fountain that flows
For you and for me and for all

At the wonderful tragic mysterious tree
On that beautiful scandalous night you and me
Were atoned by His blood and forever washed white
On that beautiful scandalous night
On that beautiful scandalous night

1 Comments:

At 4/17/2006 12:16 PM, Blogger Bike Bubba said...

I'm not much for putting stuff up on a screen, but hymns that have stood the test of time often bring tears to my eyes. Praise God for them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home