Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Lying to Others

So I posted this for a day last week as part two of lying to yourself. Anyway, I saw this article on msn.com but lost the link. The story was that a guy had been going to this restaurant for 3 years and tipped very well like $10 on a $15-$20 tab. One day he decided to give the same waitress who has been serving him for all this time a $10,000 tip. He said he was not kidding.

Needless to say it made the news. The story also stated that the waitress' father needed a knee surgery but can't afford it. So when asked what she'd do w/ the big tip and her reply was something along this line..."Well, I really want to help my parents since they have raised me up and taken care of me but I think the guy wanted me to get something nice w/ this so I have my eyes on a Jeep." I'm not doubting that she wants to help her parents, I know she does but the question is does she really want to help them out w/ this money?

2. Do you say things to others that you have no intention of keeping or give up when your schedule becomes difficult? Things like helping out w/ Sunday school or telling someone you'll help them move but when better things come up, you decide to make an excuse and bail.

3. What do you do when you see people you know doing these types of things?

Scriptures say that let your Yeahs be Yeahs and Nays be Nays which means keeping your words and that it is better not to make a vow than to make one and not keep it. Of course, emergencies do come up but when they become a pattern is when you are lying to yourself and consequently to others. When this happens, we give ourselves a bad name but worse a bad rep to our faith. This then means that option 3 is not really an option for us, is it?

3 Comments:

At 9/05/2006 10:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The troubles we have with deceiving ourselves and others seem to really reflect Romans 7 quite a bit. "Pyromaniacs" did a little blurb on it a few weeks back, pointing out that this wrestling with sin is not just for the unbeliever! (BB posted this to the missing part that I deleted so I'm reposting his comments here as I don't want to be accused of impersonating people which has happened to me before).

 
At 9/05/2006 11:52 PM, Blogger RobertDWood said...

She probably did want to do a new knee, but jeeps are just so much cooler.

2. Yeah, I do over extend myself. But I usually keep with my commitments until I can convienently escape.

3. Watch them. (crash and burn, perhaps?) Its their life, they can make their own desicions.

 
At 9/11/2006 10:14 PM, Blogger Mercy Now said...

Joe, thanks for the correction. Therefore, I apologize for the misinformation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home