Tuesday, March 20, 2007

How Many Children Should Christians Have?

Every believer will give you the Sunday School answer and that is "as many as possible" but when it comes to putting this in practice, many will cop out and say they can only have one or two because they cannot afford to have more financially. I'd argue that this is legit in only a very few cases given that most evangelical churches are middle to upper middle class.

The biggest problem is the sin of materialism. Unbelievers see kids as obstacles to their happiness while your avg evangelical sees the option of having kids but not the necessity of them. This is truly unbiblibical! Of course, the exceptions are those couples that are not able to have kids biologically but even then they can adopt kids. So instead of answering "as many as possible" because you will get all sorts of answers like 1 or 2 because of blah blah blah(excuses for satisfying self wants rather than needs) I'd say the answer should be a min of 3 kids. I'll give my reasons for this in my next post. What say you, eh?

Before you get mad at me if you come from a family of less than 3, I'm way behind the 8 ball myself since I'm not married and need to be. Therefore, I'm chief among this category as well.

5 Comments:

At 3/21/2007 2:52 PM, Blogger Bike Bubba said...

Now come on--what about that family in Arkansas? Step up to the plate, bro! :^)

(that said, I tend to agree with you--3 is the minimum to really "be fruitful and multiply")

 
At 3/22/2007 11:43 PM, Blogger W.B. Picklesworth said...

All I can say is that I'll do my part! Seriously, I think four or five would be good.

 
At 3/23/2007 12:00 AM, Blogger Mercy Now said...

Hammer, thanks. Wait until my next post, I'll have stats that will make you want to have 10! :o)

 
At 3/23/2007 3:45 AM, Blogger Gino said...

i think four is the minimum for any working/blue collar class family. the absolute minimum.

i see no reason why a successful lawyer or doctor cant forego the mercedes, and bang out a dozen or more. the money is there.

 
At 3/23/2007 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm convinced; I'll talk Mocha-momma into having some more kids. Does anyone know where we can go to get a vasectomy and a hysterectomy reversed. (believe me, had I known MM was going to need a hysterectomy, I wouldn't have had the big V done when I did)

We had a couple in our last church who were on about their 14th. I don't know, there's something freaky about having one kid graduated from college and one in diapers, with a dozen in between.

kingdavid

 

Post a Comment

<< Home