Thursday, May 18, 2006

$ Is Not Everything

They said $ can't buy happiness and that is true but not to all extent. If you can't support yourself or your family, then you're more than likely to be unhappy most of the time. In addition, that means you're not fulfilling your duty to work and providing food for yourself. Have you ever met a homeless person who is happy? More than that, have you met a working poor family that's happy? Sure they do smile and do enjoy some of life but for the most part they are not b/c they don't know if they can live through next week.

The reason I bring this up is that we Christians tend to have this idea that since $ can't buy happiness, we don't need to do anything to provide for others, esp those who are in need. We have this godly self righteousness to go and share the "Gospel" with them. We ask them to put their trust in Christ and when they pray to ask Jesus into their hearts, we are ecstatic and we walk away thinking that we've done something great when in fact we have not.

I mean imagine that you're homeless and some guy walks up to you who doesn't have to worry where his next meal comes from and who has a home to go back to lay his head and he tells you about this wonderful Savior and how you're loved and all that yet he leaves you with nothing after the conversation? When we do this we are just like the first two people who walked by in the parable of the Good Samaritan.

5 Comments:

At 5/18/2006 10:02 PM, Blogger 2 K's are Better Than 1 said...

I like the way the Mother Teresa put it when asked why she cared for the poor of India, "because they are Jesus," she replied. This concept is hard to wrap your brain around but my soul gets it. To love others as if I was loving Jesus and through that love to them, they can meet Him.

 
At 5/19/2006 12:28 PM, Blogger Mercy Now said...

2K, good thoughts b/c Jesus said as you have done this to the least of them, you have done it to me. BTW, I just added you to my links and this list is really hard to get on as the waiting list is in the 1000's.

Michael, I've mapped out my training for the mini triathlon and will start tomorrow. It'll be a 10 lap swim, 2 mile run, & a 20 mi bike ride(that's on my mountain bike since I don't have a road bike which btw you can give one of the three you own to me).

 
At 5/19/2006 11:08 PM, Blogger 2 K's are Better Than 1 said...

hooray!!!

 
At 5/20/2006 7:57 AM, Blogger Mercy Now said...

Michael, it's always good to hear encouraging words from a bro:o) Actually, I wanted to get in shape so that I can be more competitive in ultimate frisb. I can pretty much outsprint anyone but I can't keep doing that for long. Heck, I kept up w/ the college kids the other night, well until I got tired.

 
At 5/22/2006 6:52 AM, Blogger Mercy Now said...

Helping people involves more than $. We don't want to throw $ at people as the govt is doing w/ welfare and the public education system. At the same time, we can't not give resources or $ when someone's dying either. Helping others to get out of their traps and stay out of it will allow them to live a life of freedom and that coincide w/ the telling the Gospel will let them actually see it the whole Gospel, that indeed Christ is not only spiritual freedom but a reality as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home