Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Compassionate Conservatism

I was listening to NPR on the way home today, yes NPR's more on the liberal side, and was surprised to hear this story. It interviewed a professor from Syracuse U about giving and the conclusion was that Americans are the most generous in giving to charity. Then he went on to say that it's not the people who say they are giving and this group tend to be the liberals but those who are conservatives. He pointed that it has to do w/ their religious beliefs. A second point was that it's not the rich but the working poor who tend to give the most when it comes to ratio of giving to income.

An exerpt from this aritcle:
"For too long, liberals have been claiming they are the most virtuous members of American society. Although they usually give less to charity, they have nevertheless lambasted conservatives for their callousness in the face of social injustice."
-----------------------------------
Conclusion:
1) Liberals will give lip service to get elected then freely spend your money.
2) Conservatives who are religious believe in something higher and have a responsibility to help others.
3) NPR can tell the truth at times.

3 Comments:

At 12/13/2006 6:53 AM, Blogger Mike Fennema said...

Mercy,
I am very impressed with you. Not too many Christian Conservatives actually dare to tune their radio to NPR. I actually enjoy a lot of the programming on NPR, and (gasp) it is one of my presets in my car. Rarely do I agree, but its good to know what everyone's thinking, and they do have nuggets of truth like you found.
Mike

 
At 12/14/2006 11:40 PM, Blogger Mercy Now said...

Mike, you'd be surprised some of the things I venture into. For example, I never liked hip hop but after listening to it five times on the radio, I'm actually beginning to enjoy Eminen's Smack That. As far as the other things, well, that's for me to know only:o)

 
At 12/15/2006 11:03 AM, Blogger RobertDWood said...

That last point cracked me up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home