Saturday, December 16, 2006

The Fruit

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law (Galatians 5:22-23)

I was reading this psg and noticed it says the fruit in the singular. So if you have peace but are proud, is that having the spirit? Tim Keller points out that if that's the case, then you have peace cuz you're proud of your accomplishments and therefore not real peace since your peace is dependent on accomplishments. Ouch, seems like I need to work on a few things myself.

For more from Tim Keller go to
Redeemer.com and this sermon is How to Change.

3 Comments:

At 12/16/2006 11:54 AM, Blogger TOKYO JOSH said...

Wow good observation. I agree, i think that pride sneaks up on all of us and we sometimes dont even know we are being this way.

 
At 12/16/2006 11:28 PM, Blogger W.B. Picklesworth said...

Pride sneeks up on you even if you are looking for it. We're not perfect. I think that's why a life of faith means daily repentance. I think it was Paul who wrote about "dying daily to sin".

 
At 12/18/2006 3:02 PM, Blogger Bike Bubba said...

I'm going to have to be cautious about what Keller says here; just because one is proud doesn't mean that one's peace is as a result of that, does it? It's a non sequitur that could be true, but is not necessarily so unless demonstrated in other ways.

Not that I don't have ample opportunities for growth, of course!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home